1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Science education aims at producing scientist for national development as well as individuals who will be self-reliant and competent in their specialization. According to Hornby (2010) to be competent means that a person has the ability or power to demonstrate knowledge, skills and attitudes that are sufficiently required to perform a given task. It is a functional ability to apply to practical situation the essential principles and techniques of a particular subject matter or field. Universities are regarded as principal institutions of learning in Nigeria. They give complete ability training intended to prepare students for various occupations. Assessment of programming skills means the ability of graduates of computer science education to secure, perform well in a computer job, establish it and manage it. If the individual is well trained in computer science education with the necessary skills needed, then the person can possess necessary skills for self-employment.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
The growing number of idle graduates or unemployed graduates from different disciplines and especially computer science education graduates is alarming. Buttressing this point, the president of Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), lamented that unemployment rate has risen to a frightening level of 23.9%, youth unemployment is at 50%, the poverty situation has been worsening, currently estimated at 67%. He also said that economic growth is not the only situation to curb unemployment in Nigeria, because official statistics have shown that unemployment did not always decline as economic growth. Rather other factors such as provision of right skills to the youth to enable them live a prosperous and fulfilled life. There is need therefore to assess the programming skills needed by a computer science education student so that they can make a useful living upon graduation.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of the study is to assess the programming skills needed by a computer science education student for self-employment. Specifically, the study intends to:
1. Identify the essential programming skills needed by a computer science education students for self-employment.
2. Outline the problems militating against the acquisition of the basic and essential programming skills.
3. To examine the impact of programming skills on computer science students for self-employment.
4. Identify strategies for enhancing competency in programming skills among the computer science education graduates.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. What are the essential programming skills needed by a computer science education students for self-employment?
2. What are the problems militating against the acquisition of the basic and essential programming skills?
3. What is the impact of programming skills on computer science students for self-employment?
4. What are the strategies for enhancing competency in programming skills among the computer science education graduates?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The findings of this study will be beneficial to the graduates of computer science education, the curriculum planners, future researchers and government of the nation.
1. To graduates, the results of this study will serve as a guide to acquire the skills and competencies required by the employers of the industry so as to bridge the gap between the theoretical, laboratory and real life practical experience.
2. To the curriculum planners, the findings of this study will serve as a tool for curriculum evaluation showing what needs to be removed, rearranged, and inculcated to attain the stated educational goal of computer science education and the entire science education program.
3. To the future researchers, the result of this study will guide them on what is and what needs to be done in the future. It will point out areas to channel their future research using the recommendation of this study.
To the government, it will open their mind on how to reform our educational sector to solve the societal needs. It will also guide them on new policy and the amendment of existing ones for achievement of the national goal or education.
Can't find what you are looking for? Hire A Researchproject Writer To Work On Your Topic or Call 0806-703-7559.
Proceed to Hire a Writer »